Years 5 & 6 2020 - 2021
English Subject Leader
Welcome to Apple and Cherry class' virtual learning area! We will upload new home learning on this page if you are unable to attend school because of isolation due to Covid 19.
From Miss List, Miss Woods and Mrs Hallam
Here are some useful websites to support your home learning or to look at in addition to your home learning:
Use the following websites to practise your tables:
Remember that keeping active is really important as well. Here is a link to a website with some ideas of games that you can try out in the garden:
Once you've finished your book, think about reviewing it. These can be displayed in the library. The main features of a book review include:
1. A couple of sentences describing what the book is about.
2. Discuss what you particularly liked about the book. Focus on your thoughts and feelings about the story and the way it was told. You could try answering a couple of the following questions:
Who was your favourite character, and why?
Did the characters feel real to you?
Did the story keep you guessing?
What was your favourite part of the book, and why?
Were certain types of scene written particularly well - for example sad scenes, tense scenes, mysterious ones...?
Did the book make you laugh or cry?
Did the story grip you and keep you turning the pages?
3. Mention anything you disliked about the book. Talk about why you think it didn't work for you. For example:
Did you wish the ending hadn't been a cliffhanger because you found it frustrating?
Did you find it difficult to care about a main character, and could you work out why?
Was the story too scary for your liking, or did it focus on a theme you didn't find interesting?
4. Round up your review. Summarise some of your thoughts on the book by suggesting the type of reader you'd recommend the book to. For example: younger readers, older readers, fans of relationship drama/mystery stories/comedy. Are there any books or series you would compare it to?
5. You can give the book a rating, for example a mark out of ten, if you like!